Today’s cruise was short — 11nm from Ucluelet over to the Joe’s Bay anchorage (tucked between Dodd and Turtle Island, next to Walsh Island).
As we exited Ucluelet Inlet and transited into Newcombe Channel, we were met with calm water and very little wind.
We anchored in this beautiful anchorage and folks spent the afternoon kayaking, fishing, exploring, and relaxing. We met later for happy hour on the raft.
Folks got fancy with the appetizers, tonight! Julie and David made some onigiri rice balls with ground chicken, Sam made a toasted sliced baguette topped with bruschetta, and Laura made a smoked trout and caper cream cheese spread for crackers. (Thanks for the photos, Roberta!)
Smoked Trout and Caper Cream Cheese Spread
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped drained capers
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Smoked trout (I used a can of smoked trout fillets from Trader Joe’s)
In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, minced shallot, chopped chives, capers and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the mixture on crackers or toasted baguette slices. Top with pieces of smoked trout, and garnish with fresh chopped chives.