Day 11 | West Side of Vancouver Island Flotilla | Bunsby Islands to Walters Cove

Airship left the Bunsby Islands first, just before 8:30am for the 10nm cruise over to Walters Cove. There was no rush to arrive at Walters Cove early, but we were hoping to find space on the public dock, and with one lead boat in first, we’d be able to help the rest get settled. The sea was calm, the sky clear, and we had hardly any wind. It was a … Read more

Day 10 | West Side of Vancouver Island Flotilla | Columbia Cove to the Bunsby Islands

Life is good south of Brooks Peninsula! We awoke to a warm, sunny, calm morning. We only had a few miles to travel today, and although Checleset Bay is open to the ocean, the swells were gentle. We had a relaxing, short 9nm cruise over to the Bunsbys, so no one really rushed out too early this morning. Once in the Bunsbys, we all anchored in Scow Bay. The Bunsbys, … Read more

Day 9 | West Side of Vancouver Island Flotilla | Winter Harbour to Columbia Cove

Around Brooks! This is one of the more significant milestones of the trip around Vancouver Island, and the weather has not been particularly cooperative this year. Wind this morning looked ideal. The forecasts called for single digit speeds and the early morning observations at Solander Island and Quatsino Lightstation backed that up. Our concern, though, was the swell. The wind has been blowing for several days and it continues to … Read more

Day 8 | West Side of Vancouver Island Flotilla | North Harbour to Winter Harbour

The meteorologists called for another stormy day today. They were right. The rain began falling around 9:00 a.m. and didn’t let up for more than a few minutes all day. Although the wind didn’t make it into North Harbour or Winter Harbour, the reports from Solander Island weren’t encouraging. Sustained winds in the 30s, with gusts near 40. A good day to stay off the ocean. Since our progress has … Read more

Day 7 | West Side of Vancouver Island Flotilla | Kokwina Cove to North Harbour

The weather for rounding Brooks Peninsula continues to be problematic. Today looked like a relatively light day of wind, but tomorrow it’s supposed to be blowing from the south (again) at 30 knots or so, possibly making Columbia Cove (one of our favorite anchorages) uncomfortable. So even if we were to go around Brooks today, we’d have to find wait somewhere for a couple more days before backtracking to Columbia … Read more

Days 5-6 | West Side of Vancouver Island Flotilla | Varney Bay to Kokwina Cove

This morning we moved from Varney Bay over to Kokwina Cove, just 3.5nm away. We had little information about Kokwina Cove, so yesterday after anchoring the big boats in Varney Bay, we dinghied over for a look. Since it sounds like we’ll be waiting out some stormy weather tonight, we wanted to be as tucked in and protected as we could be, and Kokwina Cove seems to fit the bill! … Read more

Day 4 | West Side of Vancouver Island Flotilla | Sea Otter Cove to Varney Bay

Environment Canada predicted light winds and a 1-2 meter swell this morning, not quite perfect, but pretty darn close. But by noon the winds were supposed to be blowing 15-25 knots from the southeast, and even more wind was predicted by the evening. Then, the real storm was scheduled to arrive the following day, with 45-55 knot winds. We needed to be somewhere safe and comfortable. We left Sea Otter … Read more

Days 1-3 | West Side of Vancouver Island Flotilla | Port McNeill to Sea Otter Cove

We met the West Coast Vancouver Island group at North Island Marina in Port McNeill on August 14th. This gave us a few days to get to know people, do lots of provisioning, and answer questions before departing on the 16th. Unfortunately, the weather wasn’t cooperating. Winds on the 16th in Queen Charlotte Strait were predicted to be blowing from the northwest at 20-25 knots, which would make for a … Read more

Day 18 | Alaska Flotilla Leg 4 | Frederick Arm to Von Donop Inlet

We didn’t care much about timing Whirlpool Rapids and Greene Point Rapids yesterday, but we do care about the timing at Dent Rapids, Gillard Pass, and Yuculta Rapids. Thankfully, getting to the rapids at slack isn’t that hard. Frederick Arm to Dent Rapids is about 6.5nm (we’ll call it an hour) and Dent was predicted to be slack at at 7:01 a.m. So we left at 6:00 a.m., and as … Read more

Day 17 | Alaska Flotilla Leg 4 | Port Neville to Frederick Arm

We left the dock at Port Neville and headed east in Johnstone Strait, then peeled off at Sunderland Channel. Today’s destination is Frederick Arm, the inlet just east of Phillips Arm at the top of Nodales Channel.  We transited Whirlpool Rapids midway through the flood with a few small whirlpools and eddies, but nothing too dramatic. Greene Point Rapids was much the same. Four knots of extra speed was nice, … Read more