Shearwater

Airship to Alaska | Day 11 | Shearwater to Ocean Falls

This morning we slept in (woohoo, 8am!), did a bunch of work, had some breakfast, and then walked up to the market in Shearwater to get a few things for the crab bisque I plan to make tonight or tomorrow night. It was still gray and rainy, but who cares? We’re on our way to Alaska. In our boat! Read more on the Riveted blog.

Safe Harbour to Alaska | Day 2 | Ganges to Silva Bay

Today was a short day—28 nautical miles of protected water from Ganges to Silva Bay. We left about 10:30 a.m., transited Gabriola Pass just before slack at 2:01 p.m., and arrived in Silva Bay soon after. Easy, smooth water along the way. A bit of drizzle, but very little wind. We had a relaxed afternoon at Silva Bay. Some folks dropped crab traps, others hung out on the docks. I … Read more

Fury Cove

Airship to Alaska | Day 10 | Fury Cove to Shearwater

Our Cape Caution crossing yesterday was nice and calm and uneventful, just like we like it! We weren’t planning to cut through the Walker Group, but as we passed by that inviting opening, I decided to cut through after all. It’s so pretty in there!! Kevin was napping but the change in rpms woke him up so he came up for a few minutes while we meandered through the rocky … Read more

Lithium Batteries on Airship – For the Win!

This winter, we posted on Riveted blog about how we upgraded Airship’s solar power system. The two new 260W panels, dual Blue Sky MPPT charge controllers, and BlueSky PNPro control panel are performing great. We have seen as much as 30A output from the solar system already, and are consistently getting over 100Ah per day contribution to our power from solar. The second phase of the power upgrade for Airship … Read more

Safe Harbour to Alaska | Day 1 | Anacortes to Ganges

The last week has been super busy. Finalizing the watermaker install, tinkering with systems, provisioning, saying bye to friends and family… Yesterday I moved the boat around from Skyline Marina to Cap Sante Marina, fueled up, picked up Kevin Monahan (my crew to Alaska for the third year in a row), and met with the flotilla folks who are departing from Anacortes. A busy and productive day. Read more on … Read more

Port McNeill

Airship to Alaska | Day 9 | Crossing Cape Caution

5am Port McNeill – Current Weather Queen Charlotte Strait: Wind light. Queen Charlotte Sound: Wind light. Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island: Wind light. Seas 1 metre or less. West Sea Otter Buoy: Waves 0.7 metres at 15 seconds. Wind WSW 6 gusting to 8. All the way up at South Hecate Strait: Waves 0.8 metres at 15 seconds. Wind WSW 10 gusting to 12. Read more on … Read more

Airship to Alaska | Day 8 |Echo Bay to Port McNeill

We got up fairly early this morning at Echo Bay, chatted with Pierre a bit more while he showed us some of the work he’d done recently on the rental cabins. We pulled away around 7:30am, saying goodbye until September, when we stop on the way south again. Calm water, gray sky, and a pretty chill cruise over to Port McNeill. I didn’t take any photos, but we did see one humpback … Read more